Thursday, June 02, 2011

Review - 33 Days: Touring In A Van. Sleeping On Floors. Chasing A Dream.

Title:
33 Days  
Touring In A Van. Sleeping On Floors. Chasing A Dream. 
Author:
Bill See


Synopsis (Goodreads):
For 33 days in the summer of 1987, Divine Weeks toured in a beat up old Ford Econoline van, sleeping on strangers’ floors, never sure they’d make enough gas money to get them to the next town. This deeply personal, coming of age, on the road memoir follows critically acclaimed 80s indie alt rock band Divine Weeks’ first tour. Liberated from alcoholic upbringings and rigid cultural constraints, all they have is their music and each other’s friendship. The road is filled with yuppies, brothels, riots, sleeping on floors, spiked drinks, DJs with no pants, and battles with racism. They set out on the road to discovery to drink in all they could and maybe sell a few records. They grew up instead.

My Review:
Epic. Just plain epic. 
First off, this isn't my usual read. But as I read more and more I was so moved by what was happening with this band. I wish I hadn't been born in 1988.  I would've so been a groupie for Divine Weeks! 

Bill See tells a wonderful coming of age story here in 33 Days.  I laughed, sighed, got angry ( I really wanted that racist lady to get punched in the face....), and the epilogues just really touched me. This story really shows what happens when you have a dream and decide to follow it and not give up. During these 33 days  on the road - Divine Weeks' first national tour - they trek from L.A. to Canada to the eastern and midwest parts of the US. It is during this set of travels that they uncover the true love and respect that they have for their music and each other. Through the trials and tribulations, as well as the best times they face, they never forget their deep love for their music - it is what holds them all up and together.
There were times I actually I felt like I was right there in the room with them during one of their breathtaking performances. Just Amazing.
*~*~*~*~*~*
After reading this book, I skipped on over to the 33 Days website...here you can check out Bill's blog, video's of Divine Weeks, as well as listen to some of their songs....
My favorite...Bitterness. =D

~don't give up on your dreams.

My Rating:
An Amazing Wedding Cake


pick up 33 Days @

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What I've Read.

Fahrenheit 451
To Kill a Mockingbird
Mistletoe Murder
The Devil Wears Prada
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Lovely Bones
Like Water for Chocolate
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bridget Jones's Diary
Life Seemed Good, But....
The Nanny Diaries
Exiled, Book 1
Beautiful Sins
The Meteoric Rise of Simon Burchwood
The Hunt for Red October
A PITTSBURGH AFFAIR
The Silence of the Lambs
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire


Ashley's favorite books »
}