Saturday, May 28, 2011

Spotlight on John Lyman - Author of God's Lions

So I just read this Amazing book called God's Lions. I decided since I loved it so much, I would ask the author, John Lyman, for an interview.

~*~*~*~

A brief bio:
John Lyman was born in Texas. He attended the University of Texas at El Paso before graduating from Del Mar College in Corpus Christi, Texas. After writing the first 25 pages of 'God's Lions', he threw them in a drawer. Five years later, his mother was visiting and found the crumpled pages. After reading them, she strongly urged him to finish the story. He spent the next two years doing research and writing in his spare time, mostly early in the morning and late at night after work. The result is a top-notch thriller that blends fact with fiction and takes the reader on a fascinating journey. Plan ahead. Most readers have reported that 'God's Lions' was almost impossible to put down once they started reading it.
John describes his novel as a "spiritual thriller for the times we live in". 
~Random Questions~



Hardcover or Paperback?
Paperback  - easier to hold, although I’m loving my new Kindle.
Bookmark or Dog ear a page?
Bookmarks
Coffee or Tea?
Coffee
Pepsi or Coke?
Coke
Vanilla or Chocolate?
Both chocolate and vanilla in the same bowl.
Favorite Musical Group?
ZZ Top
Favorite Fictional Character?
James Bond (I’m a huge James Bond fan –they were the first books I ever read for fun. The author, Ian Fleming, instilled in me the desire to travel and live a life of adventure)
Favorite Movie?
Dr. No
Have You Met Anyone Famous?
Elvis Presley, Bob Hope, Eddie Murphy, Jean Reno, 
Jerry Jenkins, Richard Nixon, Lindsey Wagner, Cheryl Ladd, Jimmy Buffet
Favorite Quote?

“Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you.”

~Serious Questions~
Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?






I’ve been married for twenty years to my beautiful wife, Leigh Jane. I am an RN who has spent most of my medical career in critical care. I worked in ICU and the ER and was a trauma flight nurse until I had a back injury. I am currently an administrative nursing supervisor at a large hospital. Before becoming a nurse, I was a combat weapons instructor in the Air Force and was a police officer for six years. I attended the University of Texas at El Paso and graduated from Del Mar College in Corpus Christi, Texas. I’ve worked as a nurse in various exotic locales, including the Virgin Islands, Saudi Arabia, and Hawaii.





When did you begin writing? Who or What were your inspirations?
I began writing three years ago. “God’s Lions” was the first thing I’ve ever written. I always wanted to write, but was too busy making a living. I wrote the first 25 pages of “God’s Lions” and threw them in a drawer. My mother was visiting and read them. She encouraged me to finish the story because she wanted to know what was going to happen. She was my inspiration.
Do you have a favorite place to write or a favorite time of day?
 I write in bed on my laptop from late morning until 5pm on my days off from work.
What made you write God’s Lions? 
 I wrote God’s Lions because I had just finished reading a non-fiction book about the code in the Bible and thought it would be a great vehicle for a fiction story.




What genres do you like to read in your spare time?
I enjoy reading a wide selection of genres. I like action adventure, but right now I’m reading “Atlas Shrugged” by Ayn Rand, “A Moveable Feast” by Ernest Hemingway, and “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I tend to read several books at once.

Do you have any quirks or special rituals you must do before writing or when completing a story?
I do have to drink a cup of Starbucks Italian Roast before I start writing.

If you could be a character from any story who would it be?Why?
 If I could be a character from any story, it would probably be James Bond, for obvious reasons.

What are your thoughts about books that become movies? Do you prefer to read the book first or see the film?
As far as books that become movies, I believe it’s a natural extension of the storytelling medium. The only problem is that the movie NEVER does the book justice. I’m glad that I’ve read all of the “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" books before the movies start coming out in the U.S.

Are you currently working on anything right now?
I am currently working on the sequel to “God’s Lions-The Secret Chapel”. The sequel is titled, “God’s Lions-House of Acerbi”. It’s only my second novel, but I’m quickly learning that writing a sequel is a challenge because you have to write for people who didn’t read the first book, yet you can’t bore fans of the first book with too much repeat detail about the characters. Very difficult.

~*~*~*~*~

just want to thank John Lyman again for taking the time today for this great interview.
I can't wait for the sequel!

you can visit John @ his website.


















0 comments:

Post a Comment

What I've Read.

Fahrenheit 451
To Kill a Mockingbird
Mistletoe Murder
The Devil Wears Prada
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Lovely Bones
Like Water for Chocolate
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bridget Jones's Diary
Life Seemed Good, But....
The Nanny Diaries
Exiled, Book 1
Beautiful Sins
The Meteoric Rise of Simon Burchwood
The Hunt for Red October
A PITTSBURGH AFFAIR
The Silence of the Lambs
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire


Ashley's favorite books »
}